By Patrick B. Craine
TORONTO, Ontario, April 28, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A prominent Catholic pro-life and pro-family organization is calling on parents and other concerned individuals to take action in the wake of an attempt by the Ontario Ministry of Education to force a new controversial elementary sex-ed curriculum on Catholic schools.
Campaign Life Catholic (CLC), which has been lobbying against the curriculum behind-the-scenes since the fall, says that parents cannot let up on the pressure against the curriculum despite the government's decision last week to shelve it for further consultation.
“Thanks to pressure from pro-family & Christian leaders, Dalton McGuinty has 'shelved' his plan – for the moment,” reads a flyer the group has begun distributing. But, the flyer continues, “he will bring it back someday. It is crucial that Catholics send a strong message to Ontario MPPs telling them 'don’t try bringing this back, ever!'.”
The flyer outlines the most egregious aspects of the new sex-ed curriculum. They point out that sex-ed was set to begin in grade 1, where students were to learn about sexual body parts. In grade 3, students would begin exploring “sexual orientation” and “gender identity.” “This will teach kids that they cannot be certain whether they are boys or girls,” the group points out. In grade 6, masturbation is presented as “not harmful” and “one way of learning about your body,” and in grade 7 students are taught about anal intercourse and how to use condoms.
Forcing such a curriculum on Catholic schools “is absolutely wrong,” explained CLC's Suresh Dominic, “because it is contrary to our faith, and it is an infringement of our religious freedom."
"Why would Catholic children be forced to learn something that is against their beliefs in the Catholic schools?" he asked.
After becoming aware of the Ministry's attempts at imposing the anti-Catholic sex-ed curriculum in the Catholic system, CLC wrote in the fall to the Ontario Assembly of Catholic Bishops, the directors of education and catholic school board trustees to inform them of the plan.
"The parents are not told in advance. They had no consultation,” Dominic told LifeSiteNews. “Every parent should know what they are trying to introduce. They can't just slip something in."
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty defended the curriculum last week, before backing down in the face of pressure and agreeing to give it more consultation. But he insisted again today that whatever curriculum they come up with will be required of Catholic schools. "We have a single curriculum when it comes to mathematics, when it comes to history, when it comes to world studies, and when it comes to sexual education,” he said. “We’ll find a way to make sure that it suits all of our children."
Dominic said he was seriously concerned that the Ministry will again attempt to impose elements on Catholic schools that conflict with Church teaching, but said that they'll have to review whatever the Ministry of Education comes up with. He did maintain, however, that “the government should not be interfering in this area of human sexuality in the Catholic schools.”
Dominic called on parents to write Premier McGuinty, their Member of Provincial Parliament, and their school boards to demand that Catholic teaching on sexuality be respected in Catholic schools.
Dalton McGuinty, Premier
Toronto ON M7A 1A1
Fax: (416) 325-3745
E-mail: Use this form.
Hon. Leona Dombrowsky, Minister of Education
Mowat Block, 22nd Flr, 900 Bay St
Toronto, ON M7A 1L2
Tel: 1-800-387-5514 (TTY 1-800-263-2892)
Find your Member of Provincial Parliament's contact information here.
See related LifeSiteNews.com coverage:
Ontario Liberal Premier: Catholic Schools Must Teach Explicit Sex Ed - Conservative Disagrees
Dramatic Turnaround: Ontario Premier Backs Down - Explicit Sex Ed Needs 'Serious Rethink'