SHAANXI PROVINCE, CHINA, July 11, 2012, (LifeSiteNews.com) – A family forced into a late-term abortion by China’s one-child policy have reached a settlement with the government.
Officials in Zenjia township agreed to pay Feng Jianmei and her husband Deng Jiyuan 70,600 yuan ($11,023) in exchange for dropping their lawsuit.
Last month Family Planning Commission members forcibly aborted Feng, who was seven months pregnant with her second child, because the family could not afford to pay a 40,000 yuan ($6,300) fine.
Click “like” if you want to end abortion!
Her husband, Deng Jiyuan, said he is “neither satisfied nor dissatisfied” with the settlement.
The family’s case raised an international furor when a gruesome photo surfaced of Feng lying in bed next to their aborted baby.
When they responded to media requests, their family members were assaulted, and an angry mob held banners in their village saying, “Severely beat the traitors and expel them.”
While the couple was held at the hospital more than a month after the abortion, Deng made a harrowing escape to Beijing, where he contacted two Christian attorneys to sue the government. He hoped to see the Family Planning Commission officials responsible for his family’s abusive treatment held accountable.
“It has never been about the money,” Deng said. “As ordinary people, we can no longer take the pressure from all sides of the society.”
Although this closes their case, all the nation’s forced abortions have not ended, much less been addressed.
“The bottom line is there are hundreds and thousands of [cases like] Feng Jianmei every day happening like that,” said Bob Fu, who heads ChinaAid. “There are horrible, horrible stories. Some women experience much worse than Feng Jianmei.”
The continuing human rights violations imposed by China’s one-child policy, which was implemented in 1978, was the subject of a Congressional hearing chaired by pro-life Rep. Chris Smith on Monday.
The Associated Press reports that the family still longs to have another child.