You’re invited! Join LifeSite in celebrating 25 years of pro-life and pro-family reporting at our anniversary Gala August 17th in Naples, Florida. Tickets and sponsorships can be purchased by clicking here.
(Campaign Life Coalition) – The head of the world’s most popular satirical website said that it’s no joke that “misinformation” from the left about abortion is not only “harmful,” but deadly.
“Harmful misinformation is telling a woman that abortion is a decision about her body when another body and life is at stake,” said Babylon Bee’s CEO Seth Dillon at a pro-life gala dinner following Canada’s May 12 National March for Life.
Dillon continued with a list of ways in which abortion misinformation is harmful and destructive.
“Harmful misinformation is calling a baby a clump of cells. Harmful misinformation is calling abortion healthcare… Abortion is healthcare the way that rape is lovemaking. I mean, they are opposites. Harmful misinformation is presenting abortion, not adoption, as the best answer to unwanted pregnancy.”
“Harmful misinformation is telling women they’re better off living with the guilt of killing their preborn children than coping with financial hardship. Harmful misinformation is the claim that we don’t know when life begins. Harmful misinformation is the claim that saving sex for marriage is shameful or foolish.”
“This is the misinformation that actually costs lives,” he said.
While Dillon kept the audience laughing throughout his speech with a sharp sense of humour, he also highlighted some truths about the left and the narrative they want to spread.
“Not long ago, we were told that men weren’t allowed to have an opinion on abortion and now we’re told that men can get pregnant,” he joked in his speech. “Reality has become a parody of itself.”
In his speech, Dillon explained how the Babylon Bee uses satire to convey candid commentary on today’s absurdities. “We basically exaggerate the truth to make a point. We go a step beyond the truth in the direction the truth is already pointing.”
He explained that a good joke has to “be tethered to reality” and “rooted in the truth,” adding that there’s a “grain of truth in every joke.” The truth at the bottom of satire is then used to “poke holes” in false narratives. He brought up the recent example of the Babylon Bee’s satire on transgender ideology where it poked a hole in the narrative that a man can become female.
Dillon outlined how when USA Today named U.S. government health official, Rachel Levine, a biological male who presents himself as female, as ‘woman of the year,’ the Babylon Bee decided to make a joke. “We did a joke about how Rachel Levine was our ‘man of the year’ as our counterpunch to that,” he said.
But the joke, however, did not go over well with everyone. Transgender activists were furious. After the Babylon Bee posted its headline on social media, Twitter declared it to be hateful and suspended the Bee’s account.
“[The joke] was considered punching down this male high-ranking government official,” Dillon said.
Twitter would not allow the Bee to regain access to its account until the offending tweet had been deleted. “So far, we have refused,” said Dillon during his speech. “We’ve actually steadfastly refused to delete the tweet because we don’t agree that the truth — and there is truth to this joke that we made — we don’t agree that the truth is hate speech. We simply disagree that the truth can possibly be hate speech.”
“It’s like this Orwellian thing where they’re trying to get us to say that two and two make five and we’re sitting here saying, ‘No, two and two make four’ – and we’re going to die on that hill,” he added.
This time last year, Justin Trudeau and his media allies were at the forefront of falsely accusing Catholic institutions of having buried Indigenous children in mass graves at various residential schools across Canada.
There was and is no credible evidence to support these wild accusations, but many Canadians are still unaware of the facts.
SIGN to demand an apology from Justin Trudeau for promoting the "mass grave" smear
The anger generated by the media at home and abroad saw over twenty Canadian churches burned, and extensive damage done to many more, but the record has never been set straight in what amounts to a disinformation campaign.
Terry Glavin at the National Post recently wrote a masterful piece that may go down in history as the definitive “debunking” of the assertions about the mass graves that never were.
Glavin points out that “nothing new was added to the public record” concerning the history of residential schools in Canada.
“The legacy of the schools had already been exhaustively explored in the testimony of hundreds of elders and a series of inquiries, public hearings, criminal cases, settlements and federal investigations going back decades. Most important of these efforts were the widely publicized undertakings of the 2008-2015 Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC), and the content of its voluminous findings,” Glavin wrote.
“…[N]ot a single mass grave was discovered in Canada last year,” he added.
“The several sites of unmarked graves that captured international headlines were either already-known cemeteries, or they remain sites of speculation even now, unverified as genuine grave sites.”
“Not a single child” accounted for during the extensively researched commission “was located in any of these places,” Glavin underscored.
“In none of these places were any human remains unearthed.”
SIGN and SHARE the petition calling on Justin Trudeau to set the record straight.
Even Trudeau's kneeling at what was reported upon as a just-discovered residential school burial ground was a lie - it was actually a well-known Catholic cemetery, but the media didn't let these details get in the way of reinforcing their narrative.
Trudeau also called on Pope Francis to come to Canada and apologize for what had happened, as outlets like Reuters, the New York Times and scores more told the world that “nearly 1000 bodies” had been found in two mass graves.
Those online articles were quietly edited from "mass graves" to "unmarked graves", but we still have the Twitter posts from major outlets like Reuters to prove the staggering level of misinformation.
SIGN: Justin Trudeau must tell Canadians the truth - there were no mass graves
According to an extensive investigation by Professor Emeritus Jacques Rouillard from the Université de Montréal: “The ‘discovery’ was first reported last May 27 (2021) by Tk’emlúps te secwépemc First Nation Chief Rosanne Casimir after an anthropologist, Sarah Beaulieu, used ground-penetrating radar in a search for the remains of children alleged by some to be buried there.”
“Her preliminary report is actually based on depressions and abnormalities in the soil of an apple orchard near the school – not on exhumed remains.”
Professor Rouillard opined that the unverifiable narrative of what could have amounted to child-murder has led to the false assertion of genocide, an assertion without any supporting evidence.
“By never pointing out that it is only a matter of speculation or potentiality, and that no remains have yet been found, governments and the media are simply granting credence to what is really a thesis: the thesis of the ‘disappearance’ of children from residential schools,” Rouillard wrote.
“And all of this is based only on soil abnormalities that could easily be caused by root movements, as the anthropologist herself cautioned in the July 15 press conference.”
The vast majority of Canadians have been misled by the media and Mr. Trudeau, believing the most incredible smears imaginable, leading to scores of attacks on churches around the country.
It's time we heard the truth.
Please sign the petition today.
We are also cc'ing Canada's Catholic bishops on this petition - they must also demand the record be corrected, lest Canadians continue believing the mainstream media's disinformation.
For More Information:
How the world's media got it wrong on residential school graves - National Post
Trudeau lied about the bogus mass grave story - LifeSiteNews
Trudeau's narrative was a hoax - LifeSiteNews
**Photo: St. Jean Baptiste Church in Morinville burned to the ground on June 30, 2021**
Twitter’s censorship of the Babylon Bee may have provided the catalyst for Elon Musk’s move in April to purchase the social media giant. It was Musk, founder of Space X and Tesla, who sat down with the Babylon Bee for an interview in December of 2021. It was a deep and often profound conversation with Musk and Babylon Bee team members, running over an hour. When Musk learned of Twitter’s suspension of the Bee’s account, he personally reached out to them to confirm what had happened. Following this, he created a poll on Twitter asking his 90 million followers if the social media platform upheld the principle of free speech. The result showed that over 70 percent of voters did not believe Twitter adhered to the principle of free speech. In April, Musk proposed to buy Twitter in a $44 billion deal in a move that many conservative pundits see as a bid to restore free speech to the platform.
If the takeover of Twitter goes through, it could provide a safe haven for conservative-leaning organizations, like the Babylon Bee, for their counter-cultural content. It’s the hot-button social issues that the Bee satirizes, including transgender ideology, rabid feminism, and abortion ideology, that make the Bee the perfect candidate for cancel culture.
In the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court leak on the Roe v. Wade decision, the Babylon Bee’s satire on abortion is especially relevant. The Bee has published many satirical pieces on abortion including one titled, Here’s A Complete List Of The Differences Between Abortion And Murder, which is followed by a blank page.
Another headline reads: Matt Damon To Star In Pro-Life Thriller ‘The Unbourne Identity’. The piece uses the “Bourne” action movies to poke a hole in the abortion narrative where the hero Jason Bourne is still in his mother’s womb and “fights for [his] life against murderous abortion doctors trying to get to him with their tools of torture and death.”
Poking a hole in the pro-abortion talking point that men have nothing to say on abortion because they don’t have a uterus, the Bee came up with the following headline: Men Allowed To Have Opinions On Abortion Now That Men Can Get Pregnant. “Progressives have announced that men can, in fact, get pregnant, opening the door for men to have opinions on abortion as well. Across the country, men for the first time ever are now experiencing what it’s like to be able to form their own thoughts on abortion,” states the piece.
Through pieces like the above, the Bee is not merely poking holes in leftist narratives but is utterly destroying them. Dillon explained that the Babylon Bee exists because “freedom is at stake, sanity is at stake, and satire has a role to play in that.”
“Satire is effective,” he said. “Humour is a vehicle for truth delivery.”
Matthew Wojciechowski, Vice President of Campaign Life Coalition, the organization that puts on the National March for Life and the Rose Dinner at which Dillon spoke, commented that the Bee’s jokes are good medicine for today’s insanity.
“It’s getting so insane nowadays that we have to learn how to laugh, otherwise we would all fall into a deep depression. Seth and the work he is doing with the Babylon Bee remind us that the truth is the truth and no trend or public opinion can change that,” he said.
“It’s crucial for pro-lifers to defend the truth and not apologize for doing so. In the same way, Seth and his team have responded to the hatred they’ve faced from the angry mob, we must stand our ground,” he added.
Dillon ended his talk with a quote by Harold Clurman: “Make them laugh. And while their mouths are open, pour truth in.”
This article originally appeared on the website of Campaign Life Coalition. Republished with permission.