BREAKING: Donald Trump officially announces pro-life Mike Pence as VP
WASHINGTON, D.C., July 15, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) – Donald Trump has officially announced that he has selected Indiana Governor Mike Pence as his vice presidential running mate.
On Friday morning, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee communicated his choice on Twitter:
I am pleased to announce that I have chosen Governor Mike Pence as my Vice Presidential running mate. News conference tomorrow at 11:00 A.M.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 15, 2016
Pence, a born again Christian who is completing his first term as governor, racked up a record as a pro-life conservative during his six terms in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Pro-life leaders applauded the news on Thursday, when multiple outlets reported that Pence would be named to the GOP ticket formally today.
Concerned Women for America President Penny Nance says selecting Gov. Pence, who endorsed Ted Cruz in the primaries, is a sign that “Trump is moving in the right direction and is showing that he's taking the Evangelical Christian voting bloc seriously.”
“During his time in the House, Pence made a name for himself as a pro-life champion, leading the fight to defund Planned Parenthood of taxpayer dollars. Additionally, he co-sponsored and voted for numerous pieces of pro-marriage legislation and had a reputation as a respected, policy-oriented member,” she said.
As governor of Indiana, he has signed numerous pro-life laws, most recently including a law that would make it illegal to abort a child on the basis of race, sex, or genetic anomaly such as Down syndrome.
However, his decision to amend the state's Religious Freedom Restoration Act last year, as well as his relatively low key response to President Obama's transgender restroom guidance for public schools, has given some conservatives pause.
Mr. Trump had denied he had made a final decision on vice president as recently as Thursday afternoon, saying only that he would hold a press conference this morning.
However, he canceled that in light of a terrorist attack in Nice, France, that left 84 people dead, tweeting:
In light of the horrible attack in Nice, France, I have postponed tomorrow's news conference concerning my Vice Presidential announcement.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 14, 2016
On CNN this morning, Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort said the candidate “thought what happened in France yesterday was so tragic. He emotionally reacted to it.”
A formal press conference announcing the pick has been scheduled for 11 a.m. EDT Saturday.
Finished reading? You can make a difference, too!
Support pro-life and pro-family journalism with a donation today!
View CommentsClick to view or comment.