BREAKING: White House confirms: VP Pence to speak at March for Life
WASHINGTON, D.C., January 26, 2017 (LifeSiteNews) – Vice President Mike Pence will speak at the March for Life, a senior White House official confirmed to the New York Times this morning.
This is the first time a Vice President of the United States will attend in the Washington, D.C. March's 44-year history.
When March for Life organizers released the list of speakers last week, they mentioned a “surprise VIP guest TBA.”
Rumors that Pence was going to appear at the March for Life have been circulating in DC and were heightened when March for Life organizers sent out a note warning of extra security screening.
“Participants should be aware that due to heightened security concerns, all will be required to go through airport-type screening to reach the rally site,” they said. “The screening stations will be on the Washington Monument grounds directly north of the Monument near 16th Street.”
Jeanne Mancini, president of the March for Life Education and Defense Fund, would not confirm or deny to LifeSiteNews that Pence would attend. But she said they are "delighted" by the Trump administration's support for the March and their pro-life actions in the first week of their term.
Pence's presence highlights what is expected to be an unprecedented turnout from a presidential administration.
Kellyanne Conway, Trump's campaign manager and now Counselor to the President, will also speak.
White House spokesman Sean Spicer has suggested Trump will call in to the March rally, as George W. Bush did during his years in office.
At the first official White House briefing this week, Spicer promised a "heavy Administration presence" at the March.
March organizers were already promising a stellar list of March speakers including Conway, Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA), Rep. Mia Love (R-UT), Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ), and NFL star Ben Watson.
Yesterday ABC released an interview with Trump in which he berated the mainstream media for failing to cover the March for Life.
ABC's David Muir asked Trump if he "could hear the voices from the women’s march here in Washington?"
"I couldn’t hear them, but the crowds were large," Trump responded. "You’re gonna have a large crowd on Friday, too, which is mostly pro-life people. You’re gonna have a lot of people coming on Friday, and I will say this, and I didn’t realize this, but I was told, you will have a very large crowd of people. I don’t know – as large or larger – some people say it’s gonna be larger. Pro-life people. And they say the press doesn’t cover them."
Friday's March for Life is the 44th annual gathering demanding human rights for the pre-born. It is the largest annual American civil rights demonstration.
View CommentsClick to view or comment.