News
Featured Image
Freedom Convoy at Parliament Hill, January 29YouTube/screenshot

OTTAWA (LifeSiteNews) – The Ombudsman for Canada’s state-run Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) said he was “disappointed” the outlet ran a story that falsely claimed Russia was behind the Freedom Convoy protests, adding it should have never happened.

CBC’s Ombudsman Jack Nagler wrote as stated by Blacklock’s Reporter that there was no “concrete evidence,” in the station’s story earlier in the year insinuating Russian involvement in the protests.

Nagler added that the story should have “been caught before broadcast” and that he was “disappointed it took others to point out to CBC the question was ‘off.’”

According to Nagler, he was also not happy with the fact “programmers were not more sensitive in advance to the perils of speculation on subjects such as the convoy or Russian interference in Canadian affairs.”

The CBC had to retract a claim made on a January 28 broadcast of its Power & Politics program with Nil Koksal that falsely asserted Russia was behind the Freedom Convoy.

The station had received multiple complaints over the story, including one that stated it was an “effort by the CBC to misrepresent the protest.”

In the interview, Koksal was speaking with Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino, where he asked, “We have heard references to potential outside actors?”

“Who could these outside actors be? Where might they be from,” he added.

Koksal then pressed on, stating that given Canada’s “support of Ukraine” against Russia, he didn’t know if it’s “farfetched to ask, but there is concern that Russian actors could be continuing to fuel things as this protest grows or perhaps even instigating it from the outside.”

Mendicino did not respond to Koksal’s claim.

According to Nagler, Koksal’s statement left viewers concluding that Russian interference could have occurred.

The CBC claimed Koksal’s Russia claim was based on a January 28 CBC website story titled, “Large Number Of Donations To Support Convoy Came From Aliases, Unnamed Donors.”

In the story, a geography professor from Portland State University said, “Anonymity could be used to mask interference in a political debate by extremists or foreign state actors.”

CBC’s managing editor for its Parliament Hill Bureau Chris Carter admitted that the interview was written poorly and not “clear.”

Carter said it was “not the intention of CBC News to suggest the protesters were Russian actors or agents or that all of the concerns of protesters were illegitimate.”

Canada’s Public Order Emergency Commission began public hearings today into Trudeau’s use of the Emergencies Act (EA) to crush the Freedom Convoy in February.

The hearings are open to the public livestream and will call forth at least 65 witnesses over six weeks.

The CBC has been caught misrepresenting other Freedom Convoy stories as well.

In March, it had to retract a story that falsely claimed most support for the Freedom Convoy came from foreigners. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau used this narrative as a basis for triggering the EA.

Canada’s draconian COVID measures were the catalyst for the Freedom Convoy, which took to the streets of Ottawa to demand an end to all mandates for three weeks in February.

Trudeau enacted the EA on February 14 to shut down the Freedom Convoy.

While Trudeau revoked the EA on February 23, many who supported the Freedom Convoy were targeted by the federal government and had their bank accounts frozen without a court order.

In 2019, Trudeau made an election promise that the Liberals would give legacy media $595 million in federal assistance over four years.

In 2021, the Trudeau Liberals gave the CBC $1.4 billion, which accounts for around 70 percent of its total revenue.

6 Comments

    Loading...