LONDON, England, August 2, 2017 (LifeSiteNews) – Charlie Gard's parents will set up a foundation to help sick kids, defend parental rights, and ensure what happened to their son doesn't happen to other families.
Chris Gard and Connie Yates were unable to use the £1.3 million (about $1.5 million USD) they raised to transfer Charlie to the U.S. for experimental treatment. It will instead be used to start the Charlie Gard Foundation, which will help families in similar circumstances.
British and European courts prevented the 11-month-old, who had a rare mitochondrial disease, from being able to receive the care his parents sought. Instead, the courts said Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH), not Chris and Connie, could decide to remove Charlie's ventilator.
A long legal battle ensued, but eventually Chris and Connie ended it because GOSH's months of stalling nixed Charlie's chances for recovery. Charlie died on Friday, July 28, just a week before his first birthday. He was removed from his ventilator at a hospice, where he was transferred after GOSH refused to let him go home.
Charlie's “legacy will be to support other young children and families faced with similar circumstances,” a family spokesperson told the Daily Mail.
“His legacy will never die,” said Connie. “We will do our utmost to ensure that no parents have to go through what we have been through and the next Charlie that comes along will get this medicine before it's too late.”
“Charlie will save many more lives in the future, no doubt about that,” said Connie.
Rev. Patrick Mahoney, a pro-life pastor who worked closely with Chris and Connie on the case, previously said they were planning on starting a foundation.
UK media speculated that Connie will run the charity and Chris will return to postal work.