WASHINGTON, D.C., August 7, 2017 (LifeSiteNews) – More than 50 House Democrats sent Secretary of Defense James Mattis a letter imploring him not to implement President Trump's ban on “transgender” individuals serving in the military.
President Trump announced this new policy via three tweets on July 26, citing the “tremendous medical costs and disruption” caused by transgenders in the military. Since then, multiple LGBT news outlets have reported that the Trump administration issued a guidance on how those who are gender-confused will be phased out of the military.
Military officials said they wouldn't immediately implement the new rule just based on Trump's tweets.
Democrats wrote to Mattis to “remind you not to comply with any unconstitutional directive which may ultimately be issued.”
We have an “abiding interest in our nation's military and its policies towards the LGBTQ community,” the Democratic members of Congress wrote.
They are upset about the new policy because it was announced via “arbitrary and capriciously issued tweets,” the letter contends, whereas they support the military's existing policy because it was made with “input from independent experts, the transgender community, and medical professionals.”
Trump's ban is a “raw political calculation” to force Democrats in Rust Belt states to justify why they want taxpayers to fund sex-change surgeries for those in the military, the letter says.
A former drill sergeant defended Trump's new policy in a short video, saying it's not discriminatory and noting that other psychological disorders prevent people from serving in the military. Sometimes, so does colorblindness.
Mattis has been timid on the LGBT issue. He delayed the implementation of President Obama's opening of the military to “transgender” individuals by six months. He reportedly rejected a request to pause it for two years.
According to the gay Los Angeles Blade, Mattis released a vague memo on August 4 about how he expects military personnel to “do the right thing.”