Leading British pro-life group, SPUC, launches campaign against gay marriage
SPUC has published a position paper on same-sex marriage following a resolution by SPUC’s Council last month. SPUC has also made available a background paper to be read in conjunction with the position paper and which provides some additional references and reflections. SPUC is the world’s oldest pro-life lobbying and educational organisation, founded in 1967.
SPUC states that:
- Marriage - the permanent, exclusive union of one man and one woman - is the basis of the family, the fundamental group unit of society. Upholding marriage is therefore in everyone’s interests.
- Marriage as an institution protects children, both born and unborn. Statistics show that unborn children are much safer within marriage than outside marriage.
- Same-sex marriage lacks basic elements of true marriage e.g. the complementary sexual difference between spouses necessary for the procreation and healthy upbringing of children.
- Same-sex marriage represents an attempt to redefine marriage, thus undermining marriage. This undermining lessens the protection for unborn children which true marriage provides.
John Smeaton, SPUC’s director, commented: “We can’t build a true culture of life if we don’t defend the truths which connect sexuality to human life. Homosexual unions, whether the existing civil partnerships or the proposed gay marriages, are radically disconnected from those truths. SPUC’s Council, elected by SPUC’s grassroots volunteers, has therefore resolved to defend human life by defending marriage from the government’s proposed redefinition to include homosexual couples.”
See follow up articles from SPUC:
* SPUC right to campaign against gay marriage, as Pope says threats to the family “threaten the future of humanity”
* Education for Choice fails to debunk pro-life campaign against gay marriage
Can you donate just $5 for PRO-LIFE?
Help LifeSite remain the #1 most-read pro-life website on the Internet. We urgently need your help to hit our Fall campaign goal today.
View CommentsClick to view or comment.