‘Lunatic’ transgender bill could pass next week, warns pro-family leader
OTTAWA, Ontario, November 26, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Canadian private members bill seeking to enshrine special rights for so-called “transsexuals,” which has been labeled a “bathroom bill” because it would allow men to use women’s bathrooms, is at grave risk of passing as early as next week, warns Campaign Life Coalition national president Jim Hughes in an “urgent” new video message.
CLC is “very concerned that Bill C-389 is this close to passing in the House of Commons,” says Hughes. “I cannot overstate how important it is to meet with your MP and urge them to vote against this lunatic bill.”
The private members bill, authored by New Democrat MP Bill Siksay, seeks to add “gender identity” and “gender expression” as prohibited grounds for discrimination under the Canada Human Rights Act, and as identifiable groups in the Criminal Code’s hate crimes section. The bill sailed through committee earlier this month and will likely see a final vote in the House of Commons in early December. If passed, it will head to the Senate.
While “on the surface” the bill doesn’t seem that bad, said Hughes, “the implications of such a law are enormous.” He said it will enshrine legitimacy for ‘transgenderism’, describing this as “the nature-defying belief that one can be a man on the outside but a woman on the inside, or vice versa.”
The bill will give cross-dressers and other men the right to use women’s washrooms, he said, and businesses will be forced to hire cross-dressers under pain of a human rights violation or perhaps even a hate crime charge.
This week, pro-family advocate Donna Miller of Concerned Women for America in North Carolina warned that the bill will endanger women by putting them at greater risk of bathroom attacks - where the woman is attacked in a public bathroom by a man who followed her in or hid inside. “The gender identity bills will put more men in bathrooms,” she explained to LifeSiteNews. “We’re having tremendous problems with bathroom attacks already. Why would you allow more boys in girl’s bathrooms?”
Commenting on this, Hughes said: “Imagine a young girl - your daughter or granddaughter - goes into a washroom and finds a man in there. How is the young girl to determine whether or not this man in the bathroom is a ‘peeping tom,’ a rapist or a pedophile, or someone who’s merely transgendered?”
“It is unconscionable for any legislator to purposefully place her in such a compromising position,” he added.
He emphasized that CLC is opposing the bill also out of empathy for those who are confused about their gender, who, according to the American College of Paediatricians, are suffering from a mental illness.
“Canadian law would recognize a mental disorder as normal,” he said. “This bill lacks genuine compassion because it cooperates with mental illness.”
“The media has obviously been trying to keep this bill out of the public eye by refusing to report on it,” he said, and “obviously” is “afraid that once average moms and dads find out the implications, there will be an uprising against it.”
Bill C-389 “will confer fake rights and confuse the impressionable children who will be exposed to all this nonsense,” he said. “Together let’s defeat the bathroom bill.”
Some of the implications of the bill noted by critics:
- Businesses and other public venues will be required to allow men use of women’s bathrooms, and vice versa, or to install special bathrooms for the “transgendered”
- Women and children will face increased bathroom attacks owing to higher numbers of men in women’s bathrooms
- Businesses or schools could see more lawsuits over a lack of security due to increased bathroom attacks
- Single-sex service or social groups, such as the Lion’s Club or Catholic Women’s League, Scouts, Girl Guides or sports teams of all ages could be required to allow cross-dressers of the opposite sex
- The tendency to treat gender identity disorder (GID) as a normal mental state will be given further legitimacy
- Children and others who struggle with gender identity disorder (GID) will find it even harder to obtain treatment
- The government - including military and RCMP - and businesses will be forced to hire gender-confused individuals
- The government will be required to pay for sex-change operations
- Young girls could face psychological damage due to exposure to strange naked men in women’s dressing rooms
- Businesses will be forced to allow men to deal with clients while dressed as a woman, and vice versa
Jim Hughes’ video message on Bill C-389 can be found here.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper
80 Wellington Street
E-mail: [email protected]
Justice Minister Rob Nicholson
House of Commons
Phone: (613) 995-1547
Fax: (613) 992-7910
E-mail: [email protected]
Find your MP’s contact information here.
Can you donate just $5 for PRO-LIFE?
Help LifeSite remain the #1 most-read pro-life website on the Internet. We urgently need your help to hit our Fall campaign goal today.
View CommentsClick to view or comment.