SEVERNA PARK, Maryland, Nov. 22, 2010 ( – Abortionist Romeo Ferrer, who stood accused of negligence in the death of Denise Crow in February, 2006, has permanently surrendered his Maryland medical license and promised not to seek licensure in any other state.

Ferrer voluntarily surrender his license on October 27, 2010, rather than face revocation. Ferrer’s license was temporarily suspended in September after the Board of Physicians found that the degree of negligence in the case of Crow indicated that “the public health, safety or welfare imperatively requires emergency action.”

At that time, Ferrer hired another abortionist, Gheovant Wartanian, in an attempt to keep his Severna Park abortion clinic open. However, the pro-life group Operation Rescue exposed Wartanians’s troubled past, and pro-lifers prayed and picketed outside the facility, leading Wartanian to quit the abortion business, forcing Ferrer to permanently close his office.

Wartanian has been sued multiple times for malpractice and negligence: lawsuits have blamed Wartanian for incidents ranging from the death of newborn babies to causing brain damage and a host of other medical mistakes. In 2001, a Baltimore Sun exposé found that 18 women had sued Wartanian within 20 years, nine of which resulted in payments of over $2 million.

“Even though the authorities were on to Ferrer, it was pro-life efforts that helped bring this case into the public eye and forced the closure of his abortion mill and the ultimate surrender of his license,” said Operation Rescue President Troy Newman. “This is what can be accomplished when pro-life groups work together through the legal avenues available. This is a tremendous victory for the pro-life movement and for women and their pre-born babies who will no longer be subject to Ferrer’s dangerous abortion practices.”

On February 3, 2006, Denise Crowe walked into Ferrer’s Gynecare Center abortion clinic in Severna Park, Maryland, for a second trimester dilation and evacuation abortion in her 16th week of pregnancy. Ferrer was accused of failing to properly administer anesthesia or monitor her during and after the abortion. When Crowe suffered complications, Ferrer did not properly administer resuscitation. Less than two hours after her abortion began, Crowe was pronounced dead.

Her death was kept secret for four years until the Maryland State Board of Physicians filed to initiate disciplinary action against him on April 7, 2010.

Newman said that Operation Rescue believes that criminal charges may soon be filed against Ferrer. “We will keep working until that becomes a reality and Ferrer is behind bars where he belongs,” he said.