Chicago, IL, August 28, 2012 ( — Advocates of abortion often argue that when abortion is legal then it is “safe,” but that didn’t stop 24-year-old Tonya Reaves from bleeding to death after a botched abortion at Planned Parenthood in July.

Now Reaves’ mother has filed suit against Planned Parenthood of Illinois alleging that Reaves died during a second trimester abortion as a result of negligence.

The family is seeking at least $120,000 in the suit, including money to compensate Reaves’ one-year old son, Alvin.


Reaves mother, Dorsey Johns, alleges in her suit that Planned Parenthood “carelessly performed” the abortion on Reaves on July 20, 2012, then failed to properly monitor her afterwards.

After the abortion, Reaves’ bleeding allegedly continued for five-and-a-half hours before a Fire Department ambulance finally took her from Planned Parenthood to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Johns is also suing the hospital for failing to immediately discover the uterine perforation inflicted by Planned Parenthood that caused her to bleed to death. Northwestern had originally said that Reaves had suffered an incomplete abortion and treated her for that, before further tests revealed the perforation.

Click ‘like’ if you want to END ABORTION!

One top pro-life leader responded to the suit today saying that lack of proper monitoring is “a chronic problem” in the abortion industry. “Once abortion businesses get the money and kill the baby, they are essentially done with the woman,” said Troy Newman, President of Operation Rescue. “If she happens to have complications, they blame her.

“Planned Parenthood and its abortionist need to be held fully accountable for the death of Reaves, because if they hadn’t botched the abortion in the first place or if they had properly monitored her and immediately called 911, Reaves’ little boy would still have a mommy today.”

Operation Rescue had earlier obtained a recording and computer aided dispatch transcript that showed Planned Parenthood never called 911 when Reaves’ condition deteriorated.

The recording also indicates that on the same day that Tonya Reaves received her fatal abortion, the Chicago Planned Parenthood office received explicit instructions from an emergency dispatcher, in relation to a separate emergency, to directly call 911 in the event of an emergency in order to prevent wasting precious time. Those instructions were ignored.