News

OTTAWA, December 3, 2002 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A solid majority of Canadians say unspecified “prayer” should be allowed in the classroom, according to a COMPAS poll of 608 Canadians, commissioned by the National Post and Global National. Asked the question, “Should prayer be allowed in public schools?” the response was 68% ‘yes’ and 28% ‘no’. The poll did not specify what kind of prayer.  Support for religious schools was surprisingly high. Nearly one-third, or 29%, supported full public funding for religious-affiliated schools “that meet [unspecified] educational standards,” while 42% favour “partial” funding—for a total of 71% in favour of funding. Only 19% would block all public support.  However, when asked about institutions actually applying religious principles in practice, a majority of Canadians appear to be intolerant. Of those polled, 63% said a religious school should not be allowed to disallow same-sex partners from a school dance. And 71% said a religious school should not be allowed to decide not to hire a practising homosexual teacher if he or she is otherwise “satisfactory.”

The contradictory response on homosexuality may reflect years of bias by Canadian media and government institutions that has deprived the public of balanced information on the issue.  For related coverage see:  COURT FORBIDS CATHOLIC SCHOOL FROM BARRING HOMOSEXUAL DATE FROM PROM https://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2002/may/02051301.html PARENTS CANNOT OPT KIDS OUT OF SCHOOL CONTRACEPTIVE PROGRAM https://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2000/apr/00042502.html ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSIONER THREATENS RELIGIOUS SCHOOLS’ MORAL TEACHING https://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2002/jul/02070402.html

Comments

Commenting Guidelines

LifeSiteNews welcomes thoughtful, respectful comments that add useful information or insights. Demeaning, hostile or propagandistic comments, and streams not related to the storyline, will be removed.

LSN commenting is not for frequent personal blogging, on-going debates or theological or other disputes between commenters.

Multiple comments from one person under a story are discouraged (suggested maximum of three). Capitalized sentences or comments will be removed (Internet shouting).

LifeSiteNews gives priority to pro-life, pro-family commenters and reserves the right to edit or remove comments.

Comments under LifeSiteNews stories do not necessarily represent the views of LifeSiteNews.