Pro-family groups ask US ‘Commission on Unalienable Rights’ to fight for parental rights
October 22, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) — Ruth Institute Founder and President Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse, Ph.D., welcomed the news that the Commission on Unalienable Rights will begin its work with two public meetings, October 23 and November 1, at the State Department in Washington, D.C.
PETITION: Ask President Trump to Make the Family Great Again! Sign the petition here.
"The Commission has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get the State Department behind authentic human rights, which begin with the family," Morse said. "Respect for the rights of others is learned in the family. In turn, governments must respect the rights of families, including the right to educate their children in their own faith tradition, without being undermined by the government."
The Ruth Institute is co-sponsoring a Make The Family Great Again Petition with LifeSite Petitions.
The petition affirms that:
- Marriage and the family are universal institutions for the stability of society and the continuation of the human race.
- Loyalty and fidelity are universally recognized as virtues.
- Children need their mother and father.
- Stable loving families provide the basis for strong societies, including thriving economies, national security and international peace.
- The United Nations and other international organizations often work at cross-purposes to these important truths.
- Making America great again requires that we make the family great again, both at home and abroad.
Therefore, the Petition urges the Commission on Unalienable Rights to work for recognition of the following fundamental rights:
- The right of every child to a relationship with his or her natural mother and father except for an unavoidable tragedy.
- The right of every person to know the identity of his or her biological parents.
- The right to life from conception to natural death.
- The right of families to educate their own children in their faith tradition and values, without being undermined by the state.
Morse noted: "Our more than 40 original petition signers are a Who's Who of the international pro-family movement, including Gov. Mike Huckabee, Alveda King, and Fr. Shenan Boquet, the President of Human Life International, as well as international leaders from Africa, Europe, and Latin America."
To date, nearly 7,700 have signed the petition worldwide.
"We welcome the beginnings of a process to get the State Department behind the rights of the family. If kids don't have a right to their parents, nobody has a right to anything," Morse concluded.
The Ruth Institute is a global non-profit organization equipping Christians to defend the family and build a civilization of love. On April 26–27, the Institute held a Summit for Survivors of Sexual Revolution.
Dr. Morse is the author of The Sexual State: How Elite Ideologies Are Destroying Lives. More at thesexualstate.com.