‘Obama, condemn forced abortion!’ challenges pro-life group amid China photo uproar
WASHINGTON, June 14, 2012 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Following international outrage over a photo of a Chinese woman and her child who was forcibly aborted at seven months, a top pro-life political women’s group is calling on President Obama to condemn the coercive policy that brought the forced abortion about.
Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser called on the U.S. president to condemn China’s one-child policy and immediately cut off funding for the United Nation’s Population Fund (UNFPA) through an Executive Order.
“The photo of Feng Jianmei and her dead child reveal the absolute horror resulting from China’s One-Child Policy, government-forced abortion, and gender selection,” said Dannenfelser. “President Obama must immediately condemn China’s routine violations of the dignity of women and children and cut off U.S. taxpayer funding of the UNFPA, which helps to implement these atrocities.”
Although the U.N. group denies involvement in the atrocities, private and federal investigations have concluded to the contrary, finding citizens under UNFPA-run population control programs in China suffering from brutal forced abortions and other methods of coercive population control.
CLICK ‘LIKE’ IF YOU ARE PRO-LIFE!
In 2008, then-Secretary of State Colin Powell explained: “UNFPA’s support of, and involvement in, China’s population-planning activities allows the Chinese government to implement more effectively its program of coercive abortion. Therefore, it is not permissible to continue funding UNFPA at this time.”
President Obama abruptly restored funding to the UNFPA upon entering the White House in 2009, a move the administration touted as showing “strong commitment to international family planning, women’s health, and global development,” but without comment on the investigations that had led to the discontinuation of the funds. From 2009 to 2011, $145 million has been appropriated for UNFPA, with another $47 million requested by President Obama for the 2012 budget.
“By sending millions of U.S. taxpayer dollars per year to the UNFPA, we are made complicit in the death of Feng’s child,” said Dannenfelser. “What’s more, we are effectively sabotaging the efforts of human rights activists like Chen Guangcheng who are fighting desperately to protect Chinese women and children.
“Women in China and around the world deserve better from President Obama and the United States. We must stand up for them.”
The shocking photograph this week caused local officials in China to admit the story of the forced abortion was true - a rare admission from the government that has repeatedly officially denied the existence of such abuses, which are known to be widespread.
Shaanxi provincial government this week said the case was “basically true” and that punishment for the perpetrators had been recommended, reported AFP on Thursday.
“This is a serious violation of the National Population and Family Planning Commission’s policies, jeopardises the population control work and has caused uneasiness in society,” the provincial government said on its website.
Can you donate just $5 for PRO-LIFE?
Help LifeSite remain the #1 most-read pro-life website on the Internet. We urgently need your help to hit our Fall campaign goal today.
View CommentsClick to view or comment.