TORONTO, July 25, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Ontario’s Education Minister has provoked criticism after admitting that she would sign off on the formerly shelved sex-ed curriculum — the development of which was overseen by the former deputy minister of education who stands accused of making child pornography — without even reading it.
“I couldn't even tell you right now what's currently under review,” Liz Sandals said at a press conference Monday, in video footage released by the Sun News Network.
“Eventually somebody will come to me … saying, ‘It's ready to be released Minister. Here are the primary things that we have changed.' And I will say ‘fine’, and I'll sign off and it will go out to the system.”
“I have not read the curriculum documents that I just signed off on that went out the door in June,” she admitted. “Nor does anybody expect me to.” She added, “the minister and the deputy really don't get involved line-by-line in curriculum documents.”
When Sun News reporter Faith Goldy asked Sandals directly if the Liberal government is looking to revive the sex-ed curriculum in its original format as it was in 2009, Sandals responded: “That’s the commitment that both [former] Premier McGuinty and Premier Wynne have made.”
“It [the sex-ed] was never withdrawn. What was put on hold was one section of the health and Phys. Ed. curriculum.”
Leaders on life and family issues have called for the entire sex-ed curriculum to be scrapped after former Deputy Minister of Education Dr. Ben Levin was arrested earlier this month in the wake of an international child pornography and child exploitation sting that led to his doorstep.
Click “like” if you are PRO-LIFE!
Levin, 61, was charged with making and distributing child pornography as well as arranging for a sexual offense with a child.
Levin, under his 2004-2009 watch as Ontario’s top education official, oversaw the development of the shelved provincial sex-education curriculum that contained an underlying “sexual diversity” agenda. Young school children starting in grade one were to be taught about gender identity, homosexuality, masturbation, oral sex and other similar topics.
After strong backlash from outraged parents the curriculum was shelved by then-Premier Dalton McGuinty in 2010.
After her election win in January, Premier Kathleen Wynne, an open lesbian, vowed to resurrect the sex-ed curriculum, telling Xtra: “We are going to evolve the physical health and sex education curriculum. We have developed curriculum in this province for decades, and we have done it in a way that has integrity.”
Despite the Liberal government trying to distance itself from Levin and his involvement in the sex-ed curriculum, government documents have surfaced that show Levin calling the sex-ed program his “priority.”
A letter from Levin dated April 6, 2009 — when he was then serving as Kathleen Wynne’s deputy minister of education — to Ontario’s senior educators states: “Today, the ministry released its new equity and inclusive education strategy paper, Realizing the Promise Of Diversity…This province-wide strategy has been a priority for our Minister of Education Kathleen Wynne and me.”
Michael Coren, Host of The Arena, called it “horribly irresponsible” for Sandals to put her name to curriculum connected to someone who is accused of using children sexually without having read through it.
“She should resign immediately. This is horribly irresponsible. You are telling the people of Ontario as Education Minister that…you are not aware of what’s in it, [that] you haven’t read it.”
“She has to resign,” he said.
Columnist Joe Warmington went one step further: “It’s not about her resigning,” he said. “She should be fired.”