LifeSiteNews.com

News

Planned Parenthood Reports Record $882 Million Income, $63 Million Profit

LifeSiteNews.com


  By Gudrun Schultz

WASHINGTON, D.C., June 8, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – America’s largest abortion provider brought inÂclose toÂ$900 million last year, and achieved its second largest profit ever, according to the organization’s 2004-2005 annual report.

The massive organization reported a record income of $882 million dollars and a profit of $63 million, reported PipeLineNews on Monday. Profits have nearly doubled since 2003, when the 2002-2003 annual report indicated a profit of over $36 million dollars.

Planned Parenthood aborted more babies last year than in any previous year, ending the lives of more than 255,015 children by surgical abortion. That number doesn’t include the vast number of deaths caused by the sale of chemical abortion drugs, the morning after pill and abortifacient contraceptives, a major source of Planned Parenthood’s income.

The abortion chain operates more than 800 centers across the U.S. A report obtained by American Life League’s STOPP International in January revealed the organization operates 173 surgical abortion centers, 57 medical abortion facilities and 595 locations that distribute products causing early chemical abortions.

Despite continuing to promote itself as an adoption referral service, the organization also set a new record in the ratio of abortions to adoption referrals it carried out in the past year, at 180 abortions per 1 referral for adoption.

Planned Parenthood received a record amount of money in federal funding this year, with a total of $272.7 million dollars in government grants and contracts.

“Planned Parenthood must assume that elected officials can’t read a simple annual report,” said American Life League vice president Jim Sedlak. “While Planned Parenthood is begging for increased government funding, it’s also admitting that it racked up record operating profits in its most recent fiscal year.”

“Since 1987, Planned Parenthood has now received a total of $3.9 billion in taxpayers’ money,” said Mr. Sedlak.

“It is absolutely incredible that, in these days of natural disasters and homeland security threats, our federal, state and local governments would fund this controversial organization to the tune of nearly $4 billion,” he continued. “Why is our government so quick to finance such ruthless attacks on our own innocent children?”

See previous LifeSiteNews coverage:

Planned Parenthood Alone Responsible for Nearly 250,000 US Abortions Last Year
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2004/dec/04121506.html

Planned Parenthood Kills Record Number of Babies; Brings in Over $36 Million Profit in 2002-2003
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2003/dec/03121103.html

Planned Parenthood Abortion Business Has over 800 Centers Across U.S.
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/jan/06010602.html



Share this article

Advertisement
Featured Image
President Barack Obama talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a phone call from the Oval Office, Monday, June 8, 2009. Pete Souza / White House
Dustin Siggins Dustin Siggins Follow Dustin

News,

House votes to defund Planned Parenthood, sending bill to Obama’s desk

Dustin Siggins Dustin Siggins Follow Dustin

WASHINGTON, D.C., January 6, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) – Congress has officially voted to eliminate most of Planned Parenthood's federal funding and repeal parts of the Affordable Care Act.

And while President Obama is expected to veto the legislation, Republicans are declaring victory and a campaign promise upheld. The vote was 240-181 along partisan lines.

“Many of my constituents have told me, ‘We gave you the House majority in 2010, what have you done? We gave you the Senate majority in 2014, what have you done? Why can’t you get something to the President’s desk,’” said Illinois Rep. John Shimkus on the House floor shortly before the vote. “Well today we do. We send a bill to the President’s desk that repeals Obamacare and defunds Planned Parenthood. And it’s about time.”

The bill used reconciliation to get through the Senate without facing a Democratic filibuster. It pulls 80 percent of Planned Parenthood's federal funding and shifts it to federally qualified health centers, many of which offer the same screenings, contraceptives, and other services supplied by Planned Parenthood supplies. However, none of them conduct abortions.

Pro-life leaders outside of Congress were also pleased. “We applaud the United States Congress for putting the bill to defund Planned Parenthood on the President’s desk,” said Jeanne Mancini, President of the March for Life Education and Defense Fund. “The decision to continue using taxpayer money to fund the abortion industry now rests with President Barack Obama and Planned Parenthood."

"This historic vote recognizes the many issues of a scandal-plagued organization with a long track record of abusive and potentially fraudulent billing practices, caught in authenticated undercover videos trafficking aborted babies’ body parts, and that has repeatedly failed to report the sexual abuse of girls," said Alliance Defending Freedom's Casey Mattox. "For the first time, a bill will reach the president’s desk that will end taxpayer subsidies of an abortion business that has enjoyed nearly a billion dollars in profits over the last decade while taking more than $4 billion from American taxpayers."

Live Action president Lila Rose said, “It’s no surprise that President Obama has threatened to veto this bill, as Planned Parenthood spent over $12 million to re-elect him in 2012. We urge the president to acknowledge the extensive evidence that shows Planned Parenthood covering up sex trafficking and the sexual abuse of minors, misleading women about the complications of abortion procedures, harvesting baby parts, and promoting race- and sex-selective abortions."

Defunding Planned Parenthood might be a top priority of the pro-life movement in 2017, but electoral politics may make accomplishing the goal difficult. Not only is the 2016 presidential election wide open, but Republicans are defending 24 seats in the U.S. Senate, compared to just 10 for Democrats.

Even if Republicans win the White House and keep both chambers of Congress, reconciliation requires 51 votes for passage. Last year, several Senate Republicans voted against their colleagues in the upper chamber's reconciliation vote, leading to a close vote for the GOP to pass the bill through the Senate.



Advertisement
Featured Image
Marius and Ruth Bodnariu ask for prayers in a Youtube video on December 21, 2015.
Lianne Laurence

News, ,

Five children seized by Norwegian gov’t to be adopted out, as protests grow

Lianne Laurence

January 6, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) – Norway’s Barnevernet, or child welfare service, has begun the process of adopting out the five Bodnariu children it seized from their Pentecostal parents Marius and Ruth in November, according to the children’s uncle, Daniel Bodnariu.

Bodnariu told LifeSiteNews that Barnevernet intends to adopt out the children, who range in age from nine years to four months, but that the agency must first “take away the parents’ rights” in a “fylkesnemdna,” or county council hearing, the date of which has not been set.

He stated that Marius and Ruth’s lawyer plans to challenge Barnevernet’s decision in Norway’s Superior Court, but that no trial date has been set.

Meanwhile, international protest on behalf of the beleaguered family is building via Facebook. Demonstrations at the Norwegian embassies are planned in 24 countries so far, including Russia, Poland, India, Slovakia, Denmark, Ireland, Romania, as well as in the USA and Canada, where rallies are scheduled in Washington DC on January 8, 2015, and in Ottawa on January 9.

As well as street protests, a petition organized by Pastor Christian Ionescu of Chicago’s Elim Romanian Pentecostal Church has been signed by 48,683 to date.

The Naustdal regional Barnevernet seized the Bodnariu children, whose father Marius is a Romanian citizen and IT engineer working in Norway, and whose mother Ruth is Norwegian, on November 16 and 17, according to Daniel Bodnariu’s reports, posted online by Ionescu.

According to that account, the principal of the school attended by the two oldest children, Eliana, 9, and Naomi, 7, called Barnevernet and reported the girls told her they were being disciplined at home.

She also mentioned that the parents are “very Christian” and that “the grandmother has a strong faith that God punishes sin, which, in the Principal’s opinion, creates a disability in children,” Bodnariu reported.

According to the Christian Post, the principal wanted counseling for the girls, but Barnevernet took custody of all five children, including the infant Ezekiel, on grounds that they were being physically abused.

Daniel Bodnariu attests that the agency found no evidence of any kind of abuse and that Barnevernet officials relied on the stories of the two eldest girls, who reported that their parents slapped them occasionally, which he described in the Post as “light punishments.”

It is illegal in Norway to slap or physically punish a child.

The children were placed in three different foster homes, the Post reports. The parents can visit their infant son, whom Ruth was nursing when he was seized, only twice a week, and their two sons Matthew, 5, and John, 2, once a week. They are forbidden to see their daughters.

Daniel Bodnariu told LifeSiteNews in an email that Barnevernet plans to do a psychological evaluation of his brother and sister-in-law in February.

Several sources report that Norway’s Barnevernet is notorious for seizing children on the slimmest of pretexts, frequently from families where both or one of the parents is non-Norwegian.

According to the London-based Christian Today, in May 2015, an estimated 3,000 children from immigrant families were in Norwegian state custody.

It cited as notable examples of Barnevernet practices its infamous 2012 seizure of two children from Indian couple Anurup and Sagorika Bhattacharya, which the Indian government fiercely protested, as well as an April 2015 seizure of a two-and-a-half month old daughter of a Slovakian father and deaf Norwegian mother, for, among other reasons, “lack of eye contact between girl and her parents.”

The Norwegian online magazine NewsinEnglish reported that an estimated forty percent of children in Barnevernet custody are from immigrant families.

One frequent cause for Barnevernet taking children from their parents is the Norwegian prohibition against physical punishment of children, it noted.

The agency has been criticized by India, Sri Lanka, and eastern European countries such as Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, and Russia for its actions, NewsinEnglish reports, as well as for placing children from immigrant families in Norwegian-speaking homes, which some countries claim violates the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Barnevenet did not respond to several emails from LifeSiteNews.

Elisabeth Johansen, spokesperson for Norway’s Minister of Children and Equality Solveig Horne, told LifeSiteNews in an email that “the government does not have the authority to comment on or intervene in individual cases.”

She noted that “the County Governor at regional level inspects the work of the child welfare services. Additionally, child welfare cases are subject to a strict duty of confidentiality. Only the parties to the case have access to the case documents.”

Pastor Ionsescu told Christian Post that because the Bodnariu family has many members in both Romania and the United States, the case is a good opportunity to bring awareness of the Barnevernet’s “abuse of power.”

“This is an issue that is not going to die down for us,” Ionsescu said, adding that the community is prepared to fight until the Bodnariu children are returned to their parents. “If it takes year, then so be it – we are not going to stop.”

For information on the demonstrations, or to sign the petition, go here and here.



Advertisement
Featured Image
Bishop Olmsted - 'Men, do not hesitate to engage in the battle.' Film still.
Pete Baklinski Pete Baklinski Follow Pete

News, , , , ,

‘Call to battle’: Catholic bishop challenges men to be ‘men’ in awesome new video

Pete Baklinski Pete Baklinski Follow Pete
Image
Bishop Thomas Olmsted. Film still.
Image
'Fatherhood isn't so much what we're supposed to do, it's what we are.' Film still.
Image
'The man’s work of self mastery is the foundational work for being able to give himself away.' Film still.

Note: The video is below. 

PHOENIX, Arizona, January 6, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) -- Porn. Fornication. Prostitution. Loving and leaving. Creating children and then abandoning them. Is this the greatness of men? The answer is a resounding ‘no’ according to a powerful short film titled “A Call to Battle” which was released yesterday by the Catholic bishop of Phoenix. 

The short, created by Blackstone Films, outlines how an epic battle is being waged for the souls of men. At stake is love and relationships, the family, and the very survival of society itself. 

Drawing upon his landmark letter issued last September on the same topic, Bishop Thomas Olmsted is specifically summoning the men of his diocese to become the men that God created them to be and to “stand in the breach” against a raging enemy seeking to destroy.  

“Men, do not hesitate to engage in the battle that is raging around you,” Olmsted encouraged in his September Apostolic Exhortation to Catholic Men.

“The battle that is wounding our children and families, the battle that is distorting the dignity of both women and men. This battle is often hidden, but the battle is real. It is primarily spiritual, but it is progressively killing the remaining Christian ethos in our society and culture, and even in our own homes,” he wrote. 

The film makes it clear that there is a huge problem in the way men today live out their manhood, especially as fathers. 

“The average boy will spend more time watching television by the time he turns six years old then he will spend talking to his father over the course of his entire earthly life,” states one man at the opening of the film. 

“The responsibility that is really the man's responsibility to be the spiritual leader of the family has been abdicated. We tend not to fulfill our roles as Christian men,” states another. 

The film posits that to be a man means to lay down one’s life, to be willing to die for those whom one loves, to love self-sacrificially. 

The film posits that to be a man means to lay down one’s life, to be willing to die for those whom one loves, to love self-sacrificially. 

“Love is sacrifice. If you want to know that I love you, try to see my sacrifice,” states one man in the film. 

It is Jesus Christ from the cross who reveals to men the way they are called to love. 

“From the cross, Christ reveals man to himself. He shows us how to love. He shows us how to die to ourselves so that others might have life,” states another man in the film.

A man becomes who he is truly meant to be and discovers his greatness when he lives out his role — be it biological or spiritual — as “father,” namely of being a caregiver, provider, protector, and defender. 

“Fatherhood isn't so much what we're supposed to do, it's what we are,” states a man in the film. 

But a man can only truly live out his role as father when he is master of himself, and not a slave to things like pornography or masturbation. 

“What makes a man a man and what separates him from all the other animals in the world is that he can order his passions. So, man is always called to have self-mastery,” states one speaker in the film. “When a guy gets hooked on [pornography,] and his passions take dominion over him, he ceases to be the spiritual head of his family, because if he can’t guard his own soul, and lead that soul to heaven, how is he going to guard the innocence of the family that's been entrusted to him?”

“And so, the man’s work of self mastery is the foundational work for being able to give himself away.”

Self-mastery is not merely for the sake of saying ‘no’ to the manifold temptations against manhood, but for the sake of men “harnessing their power for Christ,” to do the work of God, the film argues. 

Bishop Olmsted concludes the film by asking men to read his letter “Into the Breach” so that they “will discover the battle that we are engaged in.” 

“Be confident! Be bold! Forward, into the breach,” he said. 

Bishop Olmsted's letter, "Into the Breach," is published here.



Share this article

Advertisement

Customize your experience.

Login with Facebook