Planned Parenthood shooter still mentally incompetent, judge rules
COLORADO SPRINGS, August 16, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) – The man who killed three people at a Planned Parenthood facility in Colorado Springs is mentally unstable and not sane enough to participate in his own trial, a judge ruled last week.
A court spokesman, Rob McCallum, told local media that the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo Museum (CMHIP), where Dear has been treated for three months, found Dear “incompetent to proceed.”
Dear told prosecutors that he believed the federal government had been tracking him for more than 20 years, ever since he complained about the Clinton administration’s handling of the fiery standoff with the Branch Davidians at Waco. He believed federal troopers broke into his old home in North Carolina, rifling through his belongings and cutting holes into his clothing.
They were prepared to gun him down in cold blood in broad daylight, Dear told the authorities after his arrest, so he decided to open fire at the Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs the day after Thanksgiving.
He chose the location out of happenstance, he said at the time, although he had reportedly vandalized another Planned Parenthood in the past.
His ex-wife and others in his life portray Dear as a loner with paranoid fantasies of persecution.
Dear repeatedly interrupted his court-appointed public defender, saying he hoped to receive the death penalty for his crimes.
Dear faced 179 charges for his November 27 rampage that killed three people, including a pro-life Christian pastor, and injured nine others. National pro-life leaders condemned his actions at once, saying the pro-life movement is committed to the defense of all life by legal means.
Nonetheless, Planned Parenthood and other abortion lobby groups attempted to cast blame for Dear's shooting on the pro-life movement, especially undercover videos produced by the Center for Medical Progress.
Dear will face his next hearing to determine his mental state on November 17.