News
Featured Image
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI at St Peter's Basilica on December 8, 2015.Vincenzo Pinto/AFP/Getty Images

You’re invited! Join LifeSite in celebrating 25 years of pro-life and pro-family reporting at our anniversary Gala August 17th in Naples, Florida. Tickets and sponsorships can be purchased by clicking here. 

(LifeSiteNews) – Prominent German newspapers, such as Die Zeit and Die Welt, are reporting today that a 38-year-old man is suing Pope Benedict XVI, together with his successor in the office as archbishop of Munich, Cardinal Friedrich Wetter, as well as Munich’s vicar general Christoph Klingan.

The claimant says that he had been abused by the abuser priest Peter H., who came from the Diocese of Essen into the Archdiocese of Munich in 1980 in order to undergo a therapy. Then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger led the archdiocese of Munich and Freising from 1977 to 1982.

Peter H. had then been given pastoral work, even though his introductory letter from the Diocese of Essen stated that he presented “a danger” and should preferably work in a “girls’ school,” and even though he had been already a convicted pedophile at that stage.

This objective negligence of the Archdiocese of Munich is now under scrutiny at the regional court of Traunstein in a civil suit. According to Die Welt, the claim of the victim’s lawyer is that Ratzinger at the time “knew about all the circumstances” and “accepted that this priest is a repeat offender.”

This abuser priest had been repeatedly the object of heated discussions about Joseph Ratzinger’s possible failures, first in 2010 when he was Pope, and then later again in 2022 when the official Munich sex abuse report was published.

— Article continues below Petition —
Pope Francis: Don't make Bishop McElroy a cardinal - he knew about McCarrick
  Show Petition Text
12666 have signed the petition.
Let's get to 15000!
Thank you for signing this petition!
Add your signature:
  Show Petition Text
Keep me updated via email on this petition and related issues.
Keep me updated via email on this petition and related issues.

Bishop Robert McElroy (right) is to be made a cardinal in August, despite his inaction on allegations against notorious ex-cardinal Theodore McCarrick.

We all have a responsibility to speak up when serious wrongs are being brought to our attention, but McElroy didn't.

SIGN this petition to demand Pope Francis not reward a bishop who failed to report allegations against McCarrick

The Bishop of San Diego was told about serious sexual wrongdoing by McCarrick in 2016 when psychotherapist Richard Sipe, who had interviewed numerous victims of McCarrick, sent him a detailed letter, but McElroy sat on that information and is now being made a cardinal.

Appointing him to the College of Cardinals is not only an insult to those who suffered clerical sex-abuse, but also to those who are intent on ridding the Church of such evil.

This decision to make McElroy a cardinal must be reversed, and the only way to make that happen is with pressure from the laity.

SIGN and SHARE this petition to stop the appointment of Bishop McElroy to the College of Cardinals

Sipe told McElory that numerous seminarians and priests reported sexual advances and activity by McCarrick in a letter that also detailed extensive abuse by other clerics.

"I have interviewed twelve seminarians and priests who attest to propositions, harassment, or sex with McCarrick," the psychotherapist told McElroy in the 2016 letter, adding: "None so far has found the ability to speak openly at the risk of reputation and retaliation."

McElroy, who claims there was no corroborating evidence, could have brought the allegations to the pope, or even to the Papal Nuncio, but instead ended the correspondence with Sipe, himself a clerical sex-abuse victim.

It would take another year for the truth about McCarrick to slowly emerge in public.

SIGN the petition to stop Bishop McElroy being elevated to the College of Cardinals

Turning a blind eye to serious allegations of sexual wrongdoing is reprehensible in any context, but particularly when a bishop, a shepherd of souls, does so.  

He also supports giving Holy Communion to pro-abortion politicians, contrary to the Church's teaching, while he has concelebrated LGBT Masses as bishop and claimed Fr. James Martin's attempt to normalize the LGBT ideology is "fully consonant with Catholic teaching".

The sad truth is that McElroy is not fit to continue as a bishop, let alone become a cardinal.

Please SIGN and SHARE this petition to stop the rot that continues to tarnish Christ's Church. 

We must do what we can to clean up this mess now.

More Information: 

Bishop McElroy was warned about McCarrick - LifeSiteNews

Pope announces 21 new cardinals, including McElroy - LifeSiteNews

Photo: Theodore McCarrick and Bishop Robert McElroy (Lisa Bourne/LifeSiteNews & Diocese of San Diego/YouTube)

 

  Hide Petition Text

Pope Benedict holds that he had no knowledge of the fact that Peter H. was an abuser priest. In 1986, after Ratzinger’s departure to Rome, the priest was condemned by a court for child abuse. Previously, in 1979, he had sexually abused an 11-year-old boy. That was before his coming to Munich.

Yet, in spite of these incidences, Peter H. continued to work in the field of pastoral work, also with children, for many years. He is said to have abused at least 23 children.

Christ&Welt, a subsection of Die Zeit, reports in tomorrow’s June 23 issue, that Peter H. has now been laicized by Pope Francis, that is, he has been removed from the clerical state.

Andreas Schulz, the lawyer of the 38-year-old victim of Peter H., now argues that even though a criminal prosecution of these old crimes might not be possible anymore, the court still at least could make a declaration that the Church acted in a negligent manner and thus bears guilt. Therefore, according to media reports, Schulz claims that the Church owes this victim restitution and should make a “declaratory action.”

The lawyer’s argumentation continues by saying that “he wishes to achieve that a secular court also states that Pope Benedict emeritus XVI is duty-bound to it [restitution], because he as archbishop has agreed to put the priest [..] back into pastoral work, even though the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising knew […] about the sexual assaults.”

In January of this year, when the official Munich sex abuse report was published, Pope Benedict came under criticism for first having denied that he had been present at the diocesan meeting which approved taking Peter H. into the Diocese of Munich. He later had to correct himself and explained that he nevertheless, in spite of his presence at that January 1980 meeting, did not know anything about the personal history of Peter H.

Comments

Commenting Guidelines
LifeSiteNews welcomes thoughtful, respectful comments that add useful information or insights. Demeaning, hostile or propagandistic comments, and streams not related to the storyline, will be removed.

LSN commenting is not for frequent personal blogging, on-going debates or theological or other disputes between commenters.

Multiple comments from one person under a story are discouraged (suggested maximum of three). Capitalized sentences or comments will be removed (Internet shouting).

LifeSiteNews gives priority to pro-life, pro-family commenters and reserves the right to edit or remove comments.

Comments under LifeSiteNews stories do not necessarily represent the views of LifeSiteNews.

4 Comments

    Loading...