WASHINGTON, July 18, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – America’s top pornography opponent is sponsoring a series of webcast events focusing on how pornography harms one of its most forgotten victims: children.
Morality in Media’s (MIM) four-week “Be Aware: Porn Harms” National Awareness Campaign enters its second week on July 18th.
Dawn Hawkins, MIM’s Executive Director and director of the campaign, said pornography’s consequences for children and their abusers rank among “the most disturbing aspects” of material that is usually deemed harmless.
“Many child pornographers start with an interest in soft-core adult pornography, but over time turn to harder, more deviant porn and this leads the way to child pornography and molestation,” said Hawkins.
The campaign also highlights the modern parent’s struggle against a more imminent threat, as children today stumble upon obscene material on the Internet at an alarming rate.
“Many children are getting addicted to pornography because U.S. pornographers are providing free, obscene, illegal porn to kids online,” said President of Morality in Media Patrick Trueman.
Trueman noted that 11 years old is the average age of a child’s first exposure to pornography, “and for many it is earlier.” “Sadly, U. S. Attorney General Eric Holder refuses to enforce federal obscenity laws which would protect children,” he said.
Each week of the campaign emphasizes a specific way pornography proves itself to be detrimental: pornography addiction, harms to children, links to sex trafficking and violence against women, respectively (click here to find out more).
Activities for this week include:
- Monday, July 18th at 4 p.m. EDT: Live Facebook/Online Event: “Adult Porn Makes Victims Of Our Children: Creates predators, leads to demand for child porn, stunts social development “
- Tuesday, July 19th at 4 p.m. EDT: Webinar: “5 Hidden Dangers Facing You And Your Family Right Now”
- Tuesday, July 19th at 4 p.m. EDT: Conference Call: “Our children in a sexualized society: how to understand their experience and how to help”
- Tuesday, July 19th at 8 p.m. EDT: Webinar: “Simple Tools to Protect Your Family”
- Wednesday, July 20th at 3:30 p.m. EDT: Live Facebook/Online Event: “Protecting Children Online: Know the pornographers’ tricks!”
- Wednesday, July 20th at 9 p.m. EDT: Live Facebook/Online Event: “How to educate young people on the harmful effects of pornography”
- Thursday, July 21 and Sunday, July 24th All Day: Facebook: 500 FREE subscriptions to Net Nanny Filtering Software will be given away on www.facebook.com/pornharms.
- Sunday, July 24th at 9 p.m. EDT: Live Facebook/Online Event: “Porn and Sex Abuse In Our Public Libraries”
Over 70 national and state groups are organizing more than 30 events for the campaign that organizers hope will reach hundreds of thousands of Americans.
Additionally, Morality in Media will direct addicts and their families to free counseling and subscriptions to Web protection services.
Click here to learn more about these activities and to access free posters for print or website use.