PHILADELPHIA, August 14, 2012, ( – Prosecutors say the pervasive culture of greed and indifference at Kermit Gosnell’s “house of horrors” abortion clinic in Philadelphia is directly responsible for the death of a 41-year-old woman, at least seven babies, and the addiction of an unknown number of Pennsylvanians to illegal prescription drugs.

Karnamaya Mongar, a 41-year-old refugee from Nepal, died after unlicensed medical staff administered an overdose of Demerol at 71-year-old Kermit Gosnell’s Women’s Medical Center in November 2009.

Prosecutors say Gosnell’s insufficiently trained staff – and his personal desire to cut corners to make money from the suffering of women – is the reason.


Assistant District Attorney Joanne Pescatore wrote in a legal brief filed with Common Pleas Court Judge Jeffrey Minehart on Monday that one woman, who had to perform anesthesia on Gosnell’s patients, received only 15 minutes of training.

The woman testified before the grand jury that, in time, she could not sleep at night, realizing, “I can kill this lady – and I’m not jail material.” 

(Click “like” if you want to end abortion! )

Health investigators initially raided the run-down facility in a minority neighborhood on the belief Gosnell was running a pill mill. They discovered urine and blood-stained chairs, cats that roamed the premises freely, unsanitized instruments that spread venereal diseases, and jars of dismembered babies.

Gosnell is charged with killing seven children who were delivered alive only to have their spines severed or throats slashed with scissors.

But clinic workers have testified that this happened to “hundreds” of victims. Tina Baldwin, an ex-employee, told the investigators that Gosnell once joked about a baby that was writhing as he cut its neck: “that’s what you call a chicken with its head cut off.” 

He is also charged with illegally prescribing drugs like OxyContin, a side venture that prosecutors say earned him at least $200,000.

Gosnell’s wife, Pearl, pled guilty in December to performing abortions after 24 weeks, conspiracy, criminal conspiracy, and corrupt organization. Pearl, trained as a cosmetologist, worked at Gosnell’s clinic from 1982 to 1990, when they wed, and assisted with abortions after that time.

Some of Gosnell’s former workers, including Adrienne Moton and Sherry West, have already plead guilty to third-degree murder last October.

Others have come forward to say Gosnell forced them to have abortions against their will.

Robyn Reid said after she was taken to Gosnell’s clinic in 1998, when she was only 15. She said when she asked Gosnell to stop the abortion, he “got upset and he ended up taking my clothes off, hitting me, my legs were tied to the stirrups.”

Another woman, Davida Johnson, told the bench she had a similar encounter in 2001.

“I said, ‘I don’t want to do this,’ and he smacked me,” Johnson said. “They tied my hands and arms down and gave me more medication.”

In all, prosecutors filed a 281-page report with the Grand Jury.

Arguments are set to resume in the trial on October 29.