News

Researchers Admit IVF Carries Higher Birth Defect Risk

Mon Sep 22, 2003 - 12:15 pm EST

SAN FRANCISCO, September 22, 2003 (LifeSiteNews.com) - In the face of mounting evidence, researchers are increasingly admitting that in vitro fertilization carries greater risks of birth defects,. According to media reports, IVF “treatments” are “now coming under closer scrutiny. At least a dozen scientific papers published in the past year suggest a possible link between IVF and increased health risks”.  “What’s missing now is the data to reassure patients and providers that these procedures are safe,” says Mary Croughan, professor at the University of California in San Francisco. In response, IVF promoters say that even if 10% of babies are at higher risk, that still leaves 90% of test tube babies likely to be born without a major birth defect.  LifeSite has previously reported on studies from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Johns Hopkins University, the New England Journal of Medicine, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—showing greater likelihood of complications such as Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome; rare urological defects including bladder development outside the body; heart or central nervous system abnormalities; and dangerously low birth weight.  For newswire coverage:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/09/16/financial1050EDT0081.DTL&type=health   For previous LifeSite coverage:  MOUNTING EVIDENCE OF IVF DEFECTS https://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2003/mar/03032107.html   ANOTHER STUDY FINDS IN VITRO LINKED TO BIRTH DEFECTS https://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2002/nov/02111803.html   BOTH CLONING AND IVF CARRY HIGHER RISK FOR EMBRYOS https://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2003/jan/03011605.html


Keep this news available to you and millions more

Your gift will spread truth, defeat lies, and save lives


Share this article