House Speaker Paul Ryan promises bill to defund Planned Parenthood: ‘Our position has not changed’
November 18, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) — Newly re-elected House Speaker Paul Ryan says Republicans will put forth a bill defunding Planned Parenthood for President Trump to sign as it did for President Obama.
At Ryan’s press briefing Thursday, CNS News asked the Speaker if he would submit a bill “that prohibits any federal funds from going to any Planned Parenthood affiliate until Planned Parenthood stops doing abortions.”
Ryan answered: “We’ve already shown what we believe with respect to funding Planned Parenthood. We put a bill on President Obama’s desk in reconciliation. Our position has not changed."
That bill sent to Obama would have defunded Planned Parenthood for one year, rather than permanently. After the press briefing, CNS asked Ryan's staff to clarify whether Republicans intend to pass a one year defunding bill, or a permanent one, but staff directed them to Ryan's previous comment.
As CNS reports, the House bill vetoed by Obama in January stipulated that “for one year, this bill restricts the availability of federal funding to a state for payments to an entity (e.g., Planned Parenthood Federation of America) that:
- is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization;
- is an essential community provider primarily engaged in family planning services and reproductive health;
- provides for abortions other than abortions in cases of rape or incest, or where a physical condition endangers a woman's life unless an abortion is performed; and
- received a total of more than $350 million under Medicaid in FY2014, including payments to affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, or clinics.”
The bill would have increased funding for women’s community health centers that do not perform abortions. The House failed to override Obama’s veto in February.
Trump promises abortion-funding ban
Various pro-life organizations are expecting the full and permanent repeal of federal funds for Planned Parenthood. In a September letter to pro-life leaders, Trump promised to ”[defund] Planned Parenthood as long as they continue to perform abortions, and reallocating their funding to community health centers that provide comprehensive healthcare for women.”
Trump also said he is committed to:
- Nominating pro-life justices to the U.S. Supreme Court
- Signing into law the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which would end painful late-term abortions nationwide; and
- Making the Hyde Amendment permanent law to protect taxpayers from having to pay for abortions
CNS News reports: “According to its 2014-2015 annual report, Planned Parenthood affiliates performed 323,999 abortions (10/01/13 - 09/30/14) and received $553.7 million in government health services grants and reimbursements for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2015.”
Meanwhile, the liberal Huffington Post reports that private donations to Planned Parenthood are surging as supporters fear a quick ending to federal taxpayer subsidies for the abortion provider.
Only 2 days left! Can you donate just $5 for PRO-LIFE?
LifeSite is the #1 most-read pro-life website on the Internet. But we urgently need your help to hit our summer campaign goal today.
View CommentsClick to view or comment.