Jean McCarthy

News

‘Slap on the wrist’ for abortionist who pointed loaded gun at pro-lifers

Jean McCarthy
Image

Washington, D.C., June 29, 2012, (LifeSiteNews.com) – Pointing a loaded gun at peaceful protestors just became a minor offence. 

At least that’s the case for Dr. Gary Boyle, an abortionist who pointed a loaded pistol at peaceful 40 Days for Life protestors, and who will now have to pay a $100 fine after pleading “guilty” Friday to a significantly reduced charge. 

The protestors were praying and counseling outside Boyle’s abortion clinic, the Charleston Women’s Medical Center in 2010, when the abortionist pointed a semi-automatic firearm at three protestors. 

“It was shocking to see that he [Boyle] was pointing a gun at us,” said John Karafa, a 40 Days for Life participant and one of the three victims of the incident, who said that contrary to claims by the abortionist, “we were not aggressive in any way.” 

“Our lives should not be threatened because we are exercising our right to peacefully pray.”

Dr. Boyle was originally arrested for felony, facing the possibility of up to five years in jail.  However, Scarlett Wilson, South Carolina’s Solicitor for its Ninth Judicial Circuit, decided to instead reduce the charge to a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of $100 or a 30-day jail sentence.

A lawyer for the abortionist entered a guilty plea on his behalf on Friday, according to the Post-Courier.

CLICK ‘LIKE’ IF YOU ARE PRO-LIFE!

This isn’t the first time Boyle’s sentence has been reduced.  The abortionist’s initial charge of “aggravated assault with a firearm” was reduced to “presenting a firearm,” until it finally became a charge of “disorderly conduct.”  This last charge is usually reserved for cases of public drunkenness. 

“We are outraged at this latest evidence of a double standard applied by too many prosecutors – federal, state, and local – when it comes to charging abortion proponents with serious crimes against pro-life advocates,” said Shawn Carney, campaign director for 40-Days for Life. 

“How different would Judge Wilson’s charge be if the roles had been reversed?  Threat of violence is threat of violence - and should always be treated as a serious crime.  Dr. Boyle should be fully punished for his reckless and despicable actions.”

Tom Brejcha, president and chief counsel of the Thomas More Society, pointed out that the U.S. Justice Department has pursued pro-life advocates simply for offering literature to cars entering Planned Parenthood. “Yet such threats of deadly force against pro-lifers as occurred here in Charleston are now brushed off with a mere slap on the wrist.”

“Public safety is paramount, and it is high time that pro-lifers’ rights are fully and equally protected.”

One police report claimed that the three pro-lifers surrounded Dr. Boyle’s car.  But according to the Thomas More Society the pro-lifers never approached the abortionist or his car. 

The Charleston Women’s Medical Center is South Carolina’s largest abortion center, performing 2,550 abortions in 2008, and nearly 55,000 between 1988 and 2008, according to Columbia Christians for Life.

Boyle has been in trouble with the law before. For several years in the 1990s, Boyle operated a Bristol, Tennessee abortuary without proper state certification; however, an appeals judge eventually ruled in 2002 that the statute requiring certification violated a woman’s right to privacy.



Advertisement
Featured Image
JStone / Shutterstock.com
Ben Johnson Ben Johnson Follow Ben

News

Planned Parenthood endorses Hillary Clinton

Ben Johnson Ben Johnson Follow Ben

WASHINGTON, D.C., January 7, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) - For the first time in its history, Planned Parenthood has endorsed a presidential candidate during a primary. And the winner is? Hillary Clinton.

The Planned Parenthood Action Fund announced that it plans to spend $20 million in the next year to help elect the Democratic candidate president, and focus on embattled battleground states with a U.S. Senate race in 2016.

NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC has already endorsed the former first lady, who is facing a surprisingly close Democratic presidential primary race against Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, a self-described Democratic Socialist.

Both support taxpayer-funded abortion-on-demand, the official position of the most recent Democratic Party platform.

Hillary Clinton said it is vital that she be elected president, because any of her Republican opponents would defund Planned Parenthood, which received $553 million in 2014-2015. She tweeted today about the passage of a reconciliation bill that would cut those funds off:

“Everything Planned Parenthood has believed in and fought for over the past 100 years is on the ballot," Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards told the New York Times.

Clinton added that she is "proud" to have Planned Parenthood's endorsement, despite footage showing its officials cavalierly discussing harvesting and selling aborted babies' body parts.

Just days after she called the undercover footage "disturbing" last summer, Hillary Clinton said she is "proud to stand with Planned Parenthood."

She has long been an outspoken and extreme supporter of abortion, to the point that she would apparently be willing to undermine the First Amendment's freedom of religion.

Mrs. Clinton told the Women in the World Summit last April that "religious beliefs" that oppose abortion "have to be changed." She had previously likened moral beliefs rejecting homosexuality to “the justification offered for violent practices towards women like honor killings, widow burning, or female genital mutilation.” 



Advertisement
Featured Image
Joshua Rainey Photography / Shutterstock.com
Dustin Siggins Dustin Siggins Follow Dustin

News,

Planned Parenthood defunding bill shows how crucial it is to elect a pro-life president in 2016: activists

Dustin Siggins Dustin Siggins Follow Dustin

WASHINGTON, D.C., January 7, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) -- Last night's vote to send a Planned Parenthood defunding measure to President Obama's desk was hailed as a victory by pro-life leaders inside and outside of Congress.

The bill's passage "established an important precedent for the next administration," said SBA president Marjorie Dannenfelser. "If Americans elect a pro-life president this year, and safeguard our pro-life majorities in Congress, this bill – and many others – could be law by 2017.”

Dannenfelser and others called for Obama to sign the legislation, even though he has already declared his intention to use his veto pen. Center for Medical Progress president David Daleiden, whose videos last summer were responsible for a renewed push to defund America's largest abortion company, said in a statement that "Congress is listening to the will of the American people to hold Planned Parenthood accountable under the law for their barbaric abortion and baby parts business."

"[On Tuesday], President Obama wiped tears from his eyes saying: 'Every time I think about those kids, it gets me mad.' Mr. President, show the same outrage and compassion for the kids who are killed and harvested for body parts at Planned Parenthood, and parted out and sold across the country like used cars," urged Daleiden. "The hypocrisy and callousness of this out-of-touch administration will be on full display if after today, President Obama refuses to listen to the will of the American people and reassign taxpayer money from Planned Parenthood’s barbaric abortion and baby parts business to mainstream, full-spectrum health care providers."

Students for Life president Kristan Hawkins was likewise praised Congress for its passage of the bill, saying that "While Planned Parenthood deserves to be permanently defunded following revelations that they likely made a profit off of selling the body parts of aborted babies, any bill that halts a significant portion of their funding should be commended."

“It is unconscionable that government funds continue to flood an organization like Planned Parenthood when there are thousands of other women’s health organizations that do not commit abortions," continued Hawkins. "Planned Parenthood should be forced to raise their funds entirely through private donations like any other non-profit and not rely on taxpayers for the majority of their revenue – President Obama’s schedule will be free soon enough to help his favorite organization raise money privately. By then, hopefully Americans will have voted in a pro-life president who will immediately defund Planned Parenthood.”

"With this vote, we are keeping a promise and putting a bill that repeals Obamacare and defunds Planned Parenthood on the president’s desk," said House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-WI. "This budget reconciliation bill, which would reduce the federal deficit by a half trillion dollars, forces the president to confront the failures of Obamacare head on. But most importantly, it clears the path to repealing this law with a Republican president in 2017 and replacing it with a truly patient-centered health care system. We will not back down from this fight to defend the sanctity of life and make quality health care coverage achievable for all Americans.”

Grazie Pozo Christie, M.D., of The Catholic Association, said that "It is encouraging that the US House of Representatives has begun the year by passing a bill that prioritizes the well being of the most vulnerable.”

"If [President] Obama cares about women and children, [he] should sign this bill that reallocates public funds instead to facilities providing authentic healthcare for women," said Christie.

Leading pro-life Representative Tim Huelskamp of Kansas said that "It is time to hold this President responsible not only for his failed, unpopular D.C. takeover of Americans’ health care system, but also gruesome Planned Parenthood. An organization that is plagued with scandal and profits from the barbaric harvesting and sale of baby body parts should not receive a dime in federal funding."

“For the first time since America’s largest abortion business began receiving public funding – nearly five decades ago – the president will have to decide up or down on legislation to defund Planned Parenthood. It is the first bill ever to get to the president’s desk that would achieve this longtime pro-life goal, and reallocate taxpayer funding to comprehensive health care centers,” said Dannenfelser.

Family Research Council President Tony Perkins said that "Congress sent a clear message today to the President on behalf of unborn children, their mothers, and for taxpayers. Never before has Congress been able to send a bill to President Obama's desk ending the forced partnership between taxpayers and Planned Parenthood."

Republican Oklahoma Senator James Lankford, a top pro-life leader in Congress' upper chamber, said in response to the vote that “I realize that our nation remains divided on the issue of abortion, but surely we are not divided on the procurement and sale of human organs. Planned Parenthood’s harvesting operation is a callous disregard for human dignity, and we should stop providing taxpayer support for them. Funding for organizations that abort children or engage in the harvesting of body parts should be redirected to women’s health at community health centers.”



Share this article

Advertisement
Featured Image
Shutterstock.com
Ben Johnson Ben Johnson Follow Ben

News

Porn viewers more likely to rape, sexually harass, use threats to “obtain sex”: massive study

Ben Johnson Ben Johnson Follow Ben

BLOOMINGTON, IN, January 7, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) – A massive analysis spanning seven countries has found that people who view pornography are more likely to be physically or verbally aggressive than those who do not.

Those who report that they watch porn are more likely to rape, sexually harass, or use threats and intimidation to "obtain sex" than those who do not, the study found.

"Consumption of pornography was associated with an increased likelihood of committing actual acts of sexual aggression," according to the report, which was published in the Journal of Communication on December 29.

Researchers from Indiana University and the University of Hawaii at Manoa performed a meta-analysis of 22 studies from around the globe.

“The accumulated data leave little doubt that, on the average, individuals who consume pornography more frequently are more likely to hold attitudes conducive to sexual aggression and engage in actual acts of sexual aggression than individuals who do not consume pornography or who consume pornography less frequently," they wrote.

Significantly, they found that it made no difference whether the porn consumer was male or female - and whether the content was viewed on the internet or another medium.

RELATED: The ‘most decorated’ male porn star ever just revealed why he left porn.

They found that, while "associations were stronger for verbal than physical sexual aggression," both "were significant."

While studies have linked pornography consumption to sexual violence since the 1980s, the terabytes of pornography pouring through laptops, tablets, and iPhones multiply every year.

“We cannot ignore the growing body of research revealing how pornography is significantly correlated to increases in sexual violence and aggression,” said Dawn Hawkins, the executive director of the National Center on Sexual Exploitation. “Regularly or intentionally consuming any substance so strongly linked to increases in sexual aggression is not only harmful to the individual user, but also poses the serious risk of violence and abuse to those in intimate relationships with them.”

"From seatbelts to drunk driving laws, our society works to reduce the harmful impact of risky behaviors," she said. "But when it comes to pornography many people refuse to look at the facts."

RELATED: ‘Empowering’? Video shows Duke pornstar and ‘feminist’ being choked, degraded, and abused



Advertisement

Customize your experience.

Login with Facebook