Kathleen Gilbert

News

Tapes show hundreds of Planned Parenthood, NAF clinics covering up sex abuse

Kathleen Gilbert

April 13, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The pro-life group behind a nationwide survey of Planned Parenthood and National Abortion Federation (NAF) clinics in 2002 has made available never-before-published raw audio and transcripts of hundreds of investigative phone calls that they say prove the abortion industry’s widespread complicity with sexual abuse of minors, in violation of state laws.

In an effort similar to the widely publicized work of undercover pro-life group Live Action Films, Life Dynamics nine years ago identified 906 U.S. facilities affiliated with either Planned Parenthood or NAF. Of these, the group was unable to contact 93, but launched a comprehensive investigation of the other 813 by having an actor pose as a 13-year-old caller asking for an abortion to cover up a pregnancy caused by a 22-year-old “boyfriend.”

In many of the calls uploaded this week by Life Dynamics, the investigator was coached by clinic employees how to avoid detection by parents or authorities, encouraged to conceal the boyfriend’s age, and told to lie about names and addresses. In other calls, clinic workers reassure the girl that the facility will not report abuse, while many abused the judicial bypass process in states where parental notification was required for an abortion.

“[Judicial bypass] is being automatically suggested to any underage girl who simply doesn’t want to tell her parents for any reason whatsoever or for no reason whatsoever. In the case of our caller, this was true despite the fact that she never said anything to indicate that her parents would become abusive or violent over this situation,” reported the group.

“We don’t need to know how old your boyfriend is first of all because it sounds like we would have to report it, ” said a clinic worker at the Planned Parenthood in San Luis Obispo, CA, when confronted with the boyfriend’s age.

“What do you mean report it? Who would you have to report it to?” the caller asked. “Because he’s over 18 and you’re 14. So as long as you don’t tell us, everything’s fine,” said the worker.

A worker at the Potomac Family Planning Center in Rockville, MD, asked the girl, “Do you look 14?” and admitted, “I hate to say this, but we don’t ask for identification, so whatever someone puts down on their age is what we go by.”

The group’s findings largely correspond to conversations recorded undercover and published by Live Action Films, whose investigators were told by abortion clinic workers in multiple states how to avoid parental consent laws, how to lie about the age of their sexual abuser, and even how to attain abortion and other services for illegally-trafficked underage prostitutes.

Life Dynamics notes, “All 50 states have statutes in place mandating that any healthcare worker must report reasonable suspicions of child sexual abuse to a designated law enforcement or child protective services agency.”

The group also points out that a girl as young as thirteen is not legally capable of giving consent for sexual activity, making the girl’s case sexual abuse by default.

“An analogy is the situation in which someone is brought into a hospital emergency room with a gunshot wound. The circumstances of this incident may or may not be criminal, but it is not the healthcare worker’s place to make that determination,” the group explained. “His or her only role is to report the incident to the authorities and this duty does not change regardless of what the patient says. The same thing applies here.”

When the information was first released, opponents said the tapes exposed only a few rogue employees and that the phone calls only indicate that workers would say whatever was necessary to get the girl to come into the clinic, where more information would be gathered. Life Dynamics called the allegations “farfetched.”

While 10 percent of the facilities seemed to comply with the law and sought to learn more about the girl’s situation, Life Dynamics said, “when you listen to the other 90 percent, what you find is that virtually nothing is said that could even be remotely construed as an attempt to get the girl to the facility so a report could be made. In fact, almost everything that was said during those conversations would work against that objective.”

Click here to access all audio files and transcripts from the 2002 investigation.

FREE pro-life and pro-family news.

Stay up-to-date on the issues you care about the most. Sign up today!

Select Your Edition:

You can make a difference!

Can you donate today?


Share this article