In epic letter, grandfather warns Catholic family of threats to their reaching heaven
Editor's note: The letter below was written by a Catholic father to his three children. He writes: "The letter is a sort of final testament of my witness to the Truth, that there will never exist any confusion among my own children about my actual beliefs and firm steadfastness in our shared Catholic Faith, and the mortal dangers that lurk everywhere in the current secular culture." It is reprinted by permission of the author.
March 12, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – Dear Children:
Well into the final third of this earthly life, I am focused on the ultimate goal, the saving of my soul and the souls of my children and grandchildren. Eyes on the Prize. When I asked Mom if this email was too much, she replied: "If their house was on fire, would we tell them? . . . and the spiritual threat to them is so much greater." So here goes. Please forgive the length.
With the combination of aging, life experiences, the love of Mom, the Catholic Faith, and the grace of God, during the past two decades, I have gained wisdom and knowledge. As a parent who prays that you and your children reach heaven, I am compelled to share these insights with you.
Mom and I often reflect on the unbelievable changes in the culture that have occurred in our lifetime and the amazing speed in which these changes have occurred. Unlike the scientific and technological fields, where breakthroughs occur on a frequent basis and at a dizzying pace, during the past fifty years there have been no significant advances in understanding the Truth of the word of God. No Thomas Aquinas or Augustine has emerged to enlighten and elucidate our knowledge of moral law. Neither the Holy Bible nor Natural Law has changed. The Catholic catechism essentially remains the same. Yet the culture has truly undergone a revolution, a revolution fueled by many evil influences. If still alive, Grandma & Grandad and Grandpa & Grandma would have been abhorred by the radical changes in mores.
Compared to the generation in which I was raised, and even the one in which you were raised, these cultural changes have made the task of being a responsible parent an extremely difficult, nearly impossible, undertaking. Surrounded on all sides by this secular and permissive culture and with easy access to the internet, your children face imminent and immense spiritual dangers, literally unimaginable to our generations. Mortal danger lurks as close as their cellphone, or that of their friends' cellphone or laptop.
In our midst evil hides in plain sight. Everywhere. Pornography, for example, is one of the most immediate and pressing threats to the souls of your children. Eleven is the average age children are exposed to the degrading, visually vivid, lurid, and addictive images of pornography. You must maintain constant vigilance to protect your children. Be proactive. Talk with them about good and evil. Pray daily. Dedicate time to pray the Rosary with your children. Ask the Blessed Mother for her intercession and assistance. Pray to cousin Gloria to beseech God and St. Michael the Archangel to guide and safeguard your family.
My dear children, please slowly read and thoughtfully ponder this letter. It describes changes in the culture, none positive, lies of the culture, and specific consequences of those lies. It includes comments on the orchestrated attack on free speech by the left via fear, shaming, and intimidation, both in the public arena and on the internet/social media, where your children will seek information and learn much about the world. Finally, it concludes with personal reflections on an appropriate response to such changes. Here are the unvarnished truths of our culture.
The Past 50 years: A Frontal Assault on our 4,000-year-old Judeo-Christian Culture
During the past 50 years, there has been a direct frontal assault on our 4,000-year-old Judeo-Christian Culture. The Church, the family, and marriage, cherished institutions foundational to our culture, have been viciously attacked by the progressive left, including much of the media and Hollywood. Contraception, abortion, casual sex, divorce, and most recently, gender fluidity, have been actively promoted as cultural advancements that should be heralded.
However, the product of these forces has been a cesspool of moral corruption with striking increases in adultery; homosexuality; premarital sex; out of wedlock pregnancy; abortion; confused, unwanted and unloved children; drug abuse; euthanasia; assisted suicide; and pornography. These cultural myths have been based on lies and deception, repeated so often that, sadly, many now accept them as true. Here are some of the more damaging lies.
The Big Lies of the Modern Secular Culture & Direct Consequences: Is Any of this Good?
- The Biggest Lie: A baby in the womb is not a real person
- Murder of 60 million infants by abortion in the United States alone
- Legalization of the murder of infants born alive after an "unsuccessful" abortion & public celebration of passage of that law
- The lie that some human beings lack God-given dignity and are no longer worthy of life
- Promotion of Physician-Assisted Suicide & Euthanasia
- Murder of 5,000 black Americans each year, 90-95% by other black males (of that total, less than 100 unarmed blacks killed by police)
- The lies that human beings must act on their sexual urges and that the previously esteemed virtue of chastity, as well as many other virtues, are no longer relevant to modern man
- The lie that sexual intercourse is merely a casual recreational behavior between consenting individuals for selfish pleasure, rather than a sacred and beautiful procreational and unifying act of unselfish, unconditional love between a married man and woman
- The lie that marriage is not exclusively the union between one man and one woman
- The lies that marriage is not a permanent moral contract, that no-fault divorce is painless, and that children, irrespective of age, are not significantly and permanently harmed by divorce
- The lie that children do not need both a mother and a father
- Rampant STD's in teenagers and young adults ("steep sustained increases")
- "A record 918 neonates in the US infected by their mothers with syphilis in 2017"
- Increased number of divorces
- Explosion in single-parent families & the directly related increase in poverty
- Increased sexual abuse of women
- Increased sexual abuse of children
- Increased number of children/teenagers both exposed to and addicted to pornography
- 650,000 deaths from AIDS in the US alone; about 40,000 new infections of HIV annually
- The incredibly personally destructive lie that gender is not biologically determined
- The promotion of transgenderism and resulting confusion in many children & parents
- The increase in both attempted and completed suicide by teenagers
- The lie that diversity, rather than greatness or excellence, is an important stand-alone goal
- Classification of individuals by skin color and/or sexual orientation, rather than by content of character, is a nightmarish version of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech
- The lie that socialism, rather than capitalism, is the better system to create wealth, raise the standard of living for everyone, decrease poverty, and protect and promote individual & religious freedom
- The lie that past injustices against one's ancestors, the resulting victimhood, and systemic racism are the major determining factors in one's individual success or failure, rather than the love and encouragement of parents, personal responsibility, God-given talent, and hard work
- The lie that work is demeaning and it is merciful and charitable for the government to subsidize individuals unwilling but physically and mentally able to work
- Legacy of welfare & victimhood passed from one generation to the next
- Promotion of envy and jealousy between lower and higher economic classes and of racial animosity among minorities directed toward successful white individuals
- The lie that homosexual activity and the tolerance of that sexual behavior by the hierarchy is not a fundamental factor in the sexual abuse crisis in the Catholic Church
- Failure of the hierarchy to effectively confront the sexual abuse crisis among the clergy
- Childhood innocence destroyed and lives irreparably damaged and lost
Hate Speech. The Progressive Left's Orwellian Definition
Differing opinions, previously considered a normal and essential part of civil discourse, now are framed as hate speech. To avoid hurting someone's feelings, free speech is scorned in favor of the "correct" opinion, increasingly dictated by the progressive left. Opposition is silenced by fear, intimidation, and even violence. Virtue signaling abounds. Noise, rather than logical reasoning, fills the void. Only one side is heard. Knowledge and truth are the casualties.
"Hate Speech" is defined by the progressive left as any opinion that differs from their own. If you disagree and have the courage to voice another opinion, you are targeted by social media and labeled a racist, bigot, homophobe, misogynist, prejudiced, hateful and/or just simply stupid or ignorant. Even wearing the wrong hat makes one a target. No one is immune from this type of irrational, personal attack. You or your children could be the next target. The left is unsparing and relentless as it advances a progressive, often non-Christian agenda.
The Frontal Assault on the First Amendment to our Constitution
Examples in which the progressive left, in an attempt to intimidate, responds with name calling and insults rather than engages in an honest and respectful dialogue include:
- Marriage is the union of one man & one woman = Homophobe
- Life begins at conception = Misogynist; Sexist
- Sexual Behavior & Natural Law = Homophobe
- Immigration & Respect for the Law = Racist; Fearful of Latinos / Hispanics / People of color
- Man Made Climate Change = Science Denier
- Right to own guns = Pro Violence
- Pro Police = Racist; Fascist
- Pro Capitalism = Hater of the poor / minorities
- Pro Trump / MAGA Cap = Racist; Misogynist; Homophobe: Hater; Bigot; Fascist; Nazi; Stalinist
What can you do in a "World Gone Wrong"?
Jesus asks each of us: "But who do you say I am?" What is your answer? Study the tenets of your Catholic religion in the catechism, read the Holy Bible, and pray. Fully embrace and practice your Catholic Faith, a precious gift God has bestowed upon you. Pass that precious gift unto your children. But it will not be easy. Pray daily to God for wisdom and courage.
Do not be distracted or discouraged by the moral failures and abominations of far too many priests and leaders in the Church's hierarchy. They represent human and institutional weaknesses and failures. Their individual sins, no matter how inexcusable and horrific, neither diminish nor alter the Truths of our Catholic Faith. Remain steadfast in that Faith.
You have a unique opportunity to swim against this rising tide of moral corruption and cultural decline and lead a singular life of heroic virtue. One person can and does make a difference. Be that one person. Ignite a counterrevolution in your own family and social circles. Forsake the false idols and myths of our modern secular culture. Be an authentic warrior for Christ.
Speak fearlessly and with moral clarity, in a loving and merciful voice, to your children. Teach your children to love the sinner but hate the sin. Reconsider the values of our traditional cultural and moral norms as you educate and guide your children to heaven in a secular culture that threatens their very salvation. Lies and deceit are everywhere. Confusion reigns. Satan is active. Your children desperately need your active guidance. You are their sole moral compass.
As you already do in your personal and professional lives, strive for greatness in your spiritual lives. Pray the Rosary. Live like a Saint. It is what God is calling you to do. For your own sake, and that of your loving spouse and beautiful children, answer that call with a resounding yes!
You are always in our prayers. I believe in you. I love you, Dad